Started Jun 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: GF1 vs GX1
In reply to Pootle2, Jun 18, 2012

Pootle2 wrote:

Loga wrote:

I would like the OP to be aware of that the GX1 with the 20mm 1.7 pancake won't focus any faster, than the GF1. Other lenses are needed to do that, like the X pancake zoom (is the blur issue solved?), or the Olympus 45 1.8, or even better for close shots, the Leica 25 1.4 (This is what I really suggest with GX1). These are fast focusing lenses on GX1, and surely are with the GX1 body a suitable combo for child photography.

Loga...

Can you go into more detail? The Panasonic 20mm pancake was the lens I was contemplating as my "go to" lense.

I have Leica binoculars for hunting - I highly doubt anything Leica will be in my budget for a number of years

The Panasonic 20 1.7, as you likely are aware, is one of the very best m43 lenses. It's very small, has a fast max aperture and is extremely sharp. You can buy one new for about $350 from somewhere like B&H. I wouldn't recommend wasting your time on Ebay. Usually Ebay is a great way to save considerable amounts of money by buying used. But the 20 1.7 is such a good lens, and is in high demand, used prices on Ebay for it are as much or more than a new one that includes a valid Panasonic warranty. Before I had one, I tried several times to win an auction for one, but every time the price actually went higher than the new price. If you are a m43 user, and are building a system of one body and lenses, the 20 1.7 is pretty much a no brainer.

There may be some other options like the new Sigma 19, but it's slower max aperture and larger size, make it much less desirable, IMHO.

As far as the GF1 vs GX1 debate, I know that the GF1 has many users and an almost cult following, but the GX1 is a better camera, with superior IQ and build quality. And a used or new GF1 will likely cost you as much or more than the $539 you can purchase a GX1 for.

Good luck.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow