Buying a D800E and the Nikon 24-70 f2.8 - couple of questions...

Started Jun 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TotalNeophyte
Forum MemberPosts: 84
Like?
Buying a D800E and the Nikon 24-70 f2.8 - couple of questions...
Jun 18, 2012

I will be stepping it up tomorrow. I have a T3i, some cheap Smith and Western lights, and a screen I use for my projector. Well, I'm ready to take my project seriously (I'm doing a progression shoot on people who go through skin lightening procedures) so I'm buying the following:

Nikon D800e
Nikon 24-70 f2.8
Westcott TD6 Spiderlites Kit
Manfrotto Tripod
Vinyl or Muslin 8x20 with a stand

Before I drop several grand tomorrow, I'd like any words of caution or wisdom you can muster.

Am I spending way too much on the lens?

Is the difference between it and a Sigma (or a lesser Nikon) noticeable enough to justify the price?
Can I do well with continuous lights in still photography?

I guess my biggest concern is the lens. I've played with the Sigma and the Nikon, and I don't notice the difference enough to justify the price. I've decided on the Nikon because I've read enough from people "in the know" to see I am seriously handicapping myself by not going with it. I'd hate to spend all of this money on getting the highest quality photos possible, and then sabotaging myself by not spending several hundred more.

Thanks all!

Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5) Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow