A couple gripes about 5D3 usability

Started Jun 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
Seehorse
Forum MemberPosts: 83
Like?
Re: A couple gripes about 5D3 usability
In reply to Phil Hill, Jun 17, 2012

Phil Hill wrote:

The OP was about usability, not IQ. I fully agree that there are few quality issues if you manage to capture the video scene with a DSLR, but the job is likely to be easier with a video camera.

An analogy might be using a 4x5 to shoot a wedding.

Sure, you can do it, and the quality will be superb. But it would be a mistake to consider a 4x5 to be a true candid camera.

I see a DSLR for video in much the same way. If you’re skilled enough to have mastered the workarounds then it can be done, but there are better tools.

I can see what you're getting at, although I do think that the video usability should get attention. They already have cinematographers buying up DSLR's for movie work where getting the shot with a conventional camera is problematic. Address the usability issues and you'll have a massive new market for the camera. TV news, video production and many other areas would love to get their hands on a usable, high quality camera that size and weight.

As it is I tend to use my 7D's video for minor things instead of using it as an alternative to one of my full size video cameras. There's not much that's really needed either; some better controls and an adapter for a more conventional video lens would give you a fantastic video camera. Apart from the servo zoom lens many of the other gripes could probably be addressed via firmware.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow