Wide angle lens purchase advice

Started Jun 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
Leonard Migliore
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,768Gear list
Like?
Then how am I supposed to get wide angle on my D300?
In reply to Teila Day, Jun 17, 2012

Teila Day wrote:

Leonard Migliore wrote:

I don't see the point in buying FX lenses for DX. If you want wide angle, get a wide angle lens for the camera you use now. If you want FX, buy the FX camera.

I feel differently and purchased my lenses so I'd have the most versatility all the way across the board.

Unless you're shooting say, a medium format camera and purchase a "digital only" lens because you won't ever buy a medium format film camera- that makes reasonable sense to me from a purchase standpoint.

It does not make good purchase sense to me to spend nearly $1,000 or more for a lens that only works (for all practical purposes) on a DX camera only if you're going to stick with photography and more than likely move up to a more versatile, and higher performing format (e.g. full frame).

I shot Nikon DX for years before going FF, and I remember thinking that it would be foolish of me to purchase a 17-55 f/2.8 DX instead of the 17-35 f/2.8 because the DX lens would be a $1200 restriction... and later something I'd have to spend time getting rid of if I migrated to FF. I purchased the 17-35 which I still use today on both Nikon and Canon.

I've used the 17-35 on Nikon DX, FX, old Nikon film cameras, a larger format body, and a Canon 5d2.

The bottom line is that one lens has been put to actual work, on Nikon DX, FX digital and Nikon film bodies in addition to being used on my Canon... something I couldn't have done using any DX lens.

I recommend buying a lens like any other tool- you don't just buy for right now, but rather with the future in mind.

Yes. Right now and for the foreseeable future I have a DX camera and I sometimes want a 100 degree horizontal angle of view. What FX lens should I get? Or are you suggesting that any half-serious amateur should ditch his DX camera and get on the FX bandwagon as soon as he can collect enough coins?
--
Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow