Dell excellent for computers but terrible for D800.

Started Jun 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rational
Regular MemberPosts: 287
Like?
Dell excellent for computers but terrible for D800.
Jun 17, 2012

I placed an order online for a D800 with Dell on Thursday 6/14 because the Dell web site said the camera was in stock and I could have a next-day delivery.

I received an email from Dell confirming the above and promising deliver on Monday 6/18. which is OK considering the weekend.

Not having received a "we shipped it" email on Saturday 6/16, I logged in to the Dell site to check on the status. To my surprise, it said that delivery had been "rescheduled" three weeks later around mid-July. Dell never bothered to tell me that in any email or call. In the mean time they had my money through the credit card.

I then tried to cancel the order. What a nightmare! Its website that deals with the D800 provided no phone number to call. Instead it states that "if an item is listed as being in production, it cannot be cancelled". Amusingly, Dell listed "my" D800 "in production" even though they did not even have it in stock to ship it to me for another 2-3 weeks and there is nothing to "produce".

I then looked at Dell's return policy. It states that "for certain items" (which ones?) a customer may return them within 21 days if an RMA is first secured from Dell (good luck) but that Dell has the option to charge a 15% restocking fee! For a $3000 D800, that would have been $450.

So here I was, victimized by a "bait and switch" by Dell (that got my order and credit card number on the written and email-confirmed promise of a one day delivery, but switched it a day later to a three week delay), and there was no simple way to cancel out of it.

Luckily, I eventually found a toll free number for Dell by calling directory assistance and a nice man on Dell's side with an Indian accent managed to cancel the order and give me a cancellation confirmation number.

I have dealt with Dell for years and they make excellent computers and their computer customer service is excellent.
However, in light of the above, I would never again buy a camera from them.

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow