Flat view
GluboK
Junior MemberPosts: 40
Like?
5DIII - Motor Sport
Jun 17, 2012

Hi there,

just got my new 5DIII a few days ago.

Still learning how to deal with it but already very happy.

I have worked with a 5DII for 3 years now and I wanted to test the improved AF on the 5DIII so I headed to my local racetrack.

I wanted to show you the result and perhaps collect some wise advice about how to improve my shots (or if you like them).

All pictures were taken with my 70-200 2.8 IS L (the previous one, not the II) mostly @ 200 mm.

I thought it would change a bit from running/cats pictures (no offense intended)

I'm used to landscape photography and I'm not familiar with sports pictures so it's a work in progress.

All shots were edited/downsized/exported with LR 4 .

NOW

One thing I have noticed while working on my shots (I shoot only RAWS) was the amount of noise in dark areas (lower parts of the bike and shadows). Very ugly noise.

I was surprised (and a little bit disappointed I must admit) because I thought that ISO 200 would be smoother than that.

Have you noticed the same thing with your 5DIII's ?

I wanted to show you what I'm talking about with a 100% crop but once the picture is exported in JPEG the noise isn't so visible anymore (smoothing things a little bit over).

I already knew that low ISO shots wouldn't be a big improvement compared to the 5DII (from what I've read all over this forum) but I'm nearly thinking it's a little bit worse.

BUT

I've taken some shots with my 50 f1.4 and the noise in dark areas (always @ 200 ISO) doesn't seem to be as present as with my 70-200. Weird.

I've activated Lens Peripheral Illumination Correction (LPIC) & Chromatic Aberration Correction (CAC) but infos weren't found for my 50 f1.4 and were found for my 70-200.

So, it's probably a really stupid question , is there a chance that these LPIC & CAC modes could create more noise in the shot that without it ? (Or any other option I may have activated unintentionally)

Anyhow it's not a 5DIII bashing post , I'M REALLY PLEASED WITH MY NEW BODY AND I LOVE IT !

Thank's for reading me.

Arnaud.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow