Started Jun 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
donaldsc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,544
Like?
New Superzoom
Jun 17, 2012

I need to buy my wife a new superzoom to replace her ancient Canon S2IS. It has to come from Amazon because I have several coupons from them.

I have narrowed it down to 6 cameras:
1) Canon HS300
2) Sony DSC-HX260V
3) Nikon D510
4) Fuji HS30EXR
5) Panasonic DMC-FZ150K
6) Fuji SL300

I know that there is a bit of a price difference between the lowest and highest of the bunch but the differences are acceptable. I can afford the most expensive of the bunch (probably the Sony) but I do not mind saving if the tradeoffs are not too bad. My wife basically does not care.

My significant selection parameters are:

1) I can accept a loss of telephoto to get a better wide angle. You can always post process crop in to get a tighter picture but there are often times when you can not step back any further to get more in the picture. The S2IS is a 12x zoom so anything will be better than that at the telephoto end of the range.

2) I would like to have RAW but it is not a deal breaker. My wife will never use RAW and I have other cameras that shoot RAW.

3) A good EVF is more important than a good LCD. My wife never uses the LCD and I rarely use it.

4) It would be nice to have a hot shoe for my external flash but it is a minor wish and certainly not a deal breaker.

5) Video is not important. She will never use it and I use it rarely and I have other cameras that shoot video. I would probably shoot more video if the new camera had it.

6) When I use the camera, I may use manual mode and even manual focus so convenient manual operation would be nice. She does not care and it is not a deal breaker.
7) Good low light performance would be nice.
8) A good panoramic mode would be very nice.

I have checked all the camera review sites and all of the cameras have pluses and minuses. However, feedback from people who have actually used them in the field are as important as the review sites.

Any ideas, suggestions, pluses or minuses will help.

Thanks

Don

Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR Fujifilm FinePix SL300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-S2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow