60D & 400D - Which GPS Unit ?

Started Jun 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
Stig Nygaard
Regular MemberPosts: 101Gear list
Like?
Re: 60D & 400D - Which GPS Unit ?
In reply to Duggo, Jun 17, 2012

Duggo wrote:

For those that use a GPS unit to tag your photo’s, could you briefly tell me the gps brand name/model and if you recommend it, ease of use.

I have in the recent years used the Amod AGL3080. And with great satisfaction. Now you're requirements might not be the exact same as mine was, but the reason for my choice was:

• I wanted a tracker using replaceable standard-batteries, so I was independent of being able to recharge every day

• SiRF Star III based (At least at that time where I bought it - Jan 2009 - experts told it was clearly the best GPS chipset)

• Be able to run a full long day on one set of batteries

• No special driver software needed

• Write geo-data in a standard format that can be read and used by third parties software

• Be able to update RAW images with geo data

• Does not require that I set the camera clock to "GPS time"

I can't remember if my Amod AGL3080 and included software alone satisfies all above requirements, but in combination with free Geosetter software ( http://www.geosetter.de/en ) it does.

Also notice that I'm told AMOD has changed the tracker to use a build-in rechargeable battery instead of replaceable standard batteries in newer versions. That disqualifies the new model/version for me, but might not for you? Anyway, above points might be to inspiration for what to look after in a GPS tracker no matter if the AMOD is interesting or not...

Stig Nygaard's gear list:Stig Nygaard's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow