Why doesn't 60D need MFA like 7D does?

Started Jun 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
sagebrushfire
Regular MemberPosts: 262Gear list
Like?
I think it just Doesn't have it ...
In reply to Don Richardson, Jun 17, 2012

As far as I know it was left out to reduce costs/annoy people but I could see why possibly it's not as heavily needed as the 60D is among the newer cameras and could have some higher-tech workings (then again it has the same processor/sensor as the 600D/550D).

Most of what I shoot is only seen on a screen or printed at 9x12 or smaller so it's just not really been an issue for me. It depends on what you shoot as well; for macro photography and situations where you have lots of sharp lines (text, uniform repeating objects, etc.) you're going to notice it a lot more. If you're shooting landscapes with big blue skies and natural objects with less finite detail, it's not going to be an issue.

Post-processing has come so insanely far, we're pretty much getting to the point where the camera can become nothing more than a data capturing device. Shoot in raw, under-expose a little to get all the highlight detail you can and go crazy in Lightroom or Aperture. That could be good or bad, depends on what you need (obviously if time is of the essence it makes more sense to get it right the first time but if you've got all the time in the world, why not play around on the computer all day?).

That being said, micro-adjustments are probably less critical because the slight difference in focus can be easily adjusted in a way that's difficult to detect in the final output (print, web, etc.).

I imagine when the technology behind the Lytro cameras actually develops into more than a gimmick, there will be cameras that are used for little more than framing a particular scene. Everything else will be "done in post."

-- hide signature --
 sagebrushfire's gear list:sagebrushfire's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow