ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
d2ncal
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Switch away from canon / 40d because of metering issues
Jun 17, 2012

Hi all,

I have been a long time 40D user. I have 3 lenses (50mm f1.8, sigma 30mm f1.4 and a tamron 18-270mm), and the 480ex external flash.

I have been generally very happy with my system, and the camera has become like second nature. I have been able to take amazing photos with this setup.

However, every time I 'hand' my camera to someone, they can never get the exposures right. For all things equal, I think the blame is on the way canon does metering. Whether I use the spot metering or center weighted, it takes a decent amount of manual adjustment to get it right.

This gets specially worse with the flash on bounce mode (pointed at the ceiling).

I am trying to figure out how to get out of this, and have considered the following options:

1. Upgrade the body to 5d - I am not sure why this will fix it, as it seems to have the same metering as 40d, but putting this as an option

2. Switch over to Nikon - I think that it will not be very difficult to sell the body and lenses, and get equivalent ones on Nikon for a little bit extra. I will probably get a used model (d300), and the other lenses seem to be similarly priced.

Nikons have a bias on metering around the focus point (which I want more often than not), and also does better with indirect flash (which I use a lot).

Wondering if someone has felt the same and what did you do...

Thanks!

Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow