Started Jun 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
X100: Suffering
Jun 16, 2012

There is no subject I am more compelled to photograph than animal suffering. Sadly, in Asia and particularly China, one does not need to go far to find such a thing.

While on my Saturday afternoon walk, I stumbled into a market that was even unusual for China. Maybe I have been "lucky" but I have never seen a market that had an actual slaughterhouse at the back. In front were all the vegetable sellers along with your standard meat (pork & beef) vendors. But in the back were hundreds of ducks, pigeons, and chickens, all packed into cages, being selected, and then slaughtered right there.

This image pretty much captures the spirit of what was going on. It was the best I could do in such circumstances. Absolutely no foreigners ever go to a place like this, so I was quite nervous about being there with a camera. I was extremely disturbed by the scene which didnt help much, and finally it was very dark and cramped with all the people moving around.

I will give the people here credit for one thing. They dont hide from their actions. Food is killed in plain sight for all to see. Not sterilized and hidden as in the west.

In the background a chicken's days are over, while 4 ducks sit and wait for their turn.

A view from further back a bit.

rattymouse's gear list:rattymouse's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 +9 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow