Started Jun 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
xpatUSA
Senior MemberPosts: 2,031Gear list
Like?
Opening X3F in ACR - "embedded profile only" workaround
Jun 16, 2012

This post is really about an interesting hack and isn't really a serious workflow suggestion!

Some time ago, I was having a little trouble with SD9/SD10 color rendition under certain lighting/exposure conditions, as we sometimes do. Since I use ACR5.4/PSE6, my particular problem wasn't readily fixable with loads of hue sliders and such. So, I decided to get the DNG profile editor and create my very own SD10 camera profile. That part was fairly easy. Imagine my disappointment when the brave new profile didn't show up in ACR's camera profile drop-down! Just said "Embedded". Turned out that you have to convert the X3F to a DNG file first, then re-open it and only then do your profiles show up. Too long-winded for what I do.

Anyway, being of an inquisitive nature, I found out that the .xmp "sidecar" file that appears when ACR opens an X3F is actually in .xml format - so I trained my HTML editor to open it. And lo, there's all the adjustment info in there, including extra stuff not accessible to us mere ACR 5.4 users. Such as 8 colors of Hue, Saturation, Lightness, or a six-point tone curve and much much more.

So, out of curiosity, I edited some parameters and they took. A real geek (not me, of course) could keep a template sidecar file and use it with X3F files as a starting point . .

As soon as the Adobe spies read this, there'll be changes made . . .
--
Best Regards,

Ted.

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Sigma SD9 Sigma SD10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1
Sigma SD10 Sigma SD9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow