Sad News - Hummer chicks....

Started Jun 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ysal
Senior MemberPosts: 6,118
Like?
Re: Sad News - Hummer chicks....
In reply to yodog, Jun 16, 2012

yodog wrote:

Sorry to hear the sad story. I haven't followed this thread but read the conclusion today while having my morning coffee. I can relate to your joy of discovery and eventual sorrow as I discovered a nest of robins in my front yard about 4-5 years ago. In fact, it was on Father's Day, and suddenly I felt like a father. I photographed the progress of the birds using my 75-300mm lens to maintain some distance from the nest. It was fascinating. Sadly, the story ended the same when one morning I came out to chaos in the front yard. There in the grass was the nest all torn up and all but one bird gone and one in bad shape. I put the nest back up in the tree with the tiny broken bird. My hopes weren't too high, but checked the next morning and the bird was gone, victim of a neighborhood cat who came back and finished the job.

Fast forward about 2 more years and discovered a new nest....different story but same result, this time a large bird of some kind did the killing. I was alerted to the disaster when I heard the chatter of distressed robins from inside the house.

It certainly leaves a betrayed and empty feeling and a sense of wonder that anything can make it through this dangerous period. I still view the photos now and then and recall the joy of capturing these fragile and adoring baby birds.

Mike
--
Give the gift of life - donate blood

Thank you Mike for the poignant story. Nature is harsh but I suppose without it there will be a population explosion of all sorts of creatures!! At least I did not witness the carnage, our nest looked untouched, probably a large bird plucked the babies right out. Hope your robins return.
--
yuki

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
carizi MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow