Started Jun 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
UKphotographers
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,933
Like?
DX Flash advantage - I want it. How?
Jun 16, 2012

I like using my D2x which is a DX format sensor.

With this I use SB800's, SB900's and a whole load of Quantums.

Used in the hotshoe the SB900 has a FX/DX aware zoom head. This means that with the same lens set at 50mm; on FX its coverage is 50mm.. but set the camera to DX and that same lens on the DX format is now providing the equivalent FOV of a 75mm lens (x1.5 crop) so the head zooms to 75mm to suit. On a D3x this is equivalent to an increase of GN from 38m at FX to 45m for DX. For the same FOV on the two formats the output would be equivalent... but, if the SB900 is used on the D2x - or even the D7000 this GN increase doesn't seem to be available and the flash defaults to the wider zoom coverage which wastes output. The extra flash zoom only seems available on FX/DX capable cameras.

Does anybody know how to make the SB900 utilise DX format zoom with DX format cameras?

The loss - if it can be avoided - should be unnecessary. Especially with an intelligent flash capable of making these adjustments.

-- hide signature --

Ian.

http://www.commercialphotographer.co.uk

Theres only one sun. Why do I need more than one light to get a natural result?

Nikon D2X Nikon D3X Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow