Started Jun 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tyroiii
Regular MemberPosts: 104Gear list
Like?
D800e first impression
Jun 16, 2012

I received my D800e from crutchfields last night. Ordered on Feb. 26 for those that ordered from them. I've only spent about an hour with the camera, so this is my initial impression.

Size & weight

• Much bigger than the D7000 but weighs similar.  When I switched from D700 to D7000, i didn't think much about the size difference. It seems more pronounce now. It may be because I have been using the Pentax K5 and Olympus EM5 lately.

• surprisingly, the d800e feels lighter than the d7000. I think the size of the grip helps make it feel lighter.

• the grip is more comfortable than d7000 but not as comfortable as d700.  I have medium to small hands and my pinky feels compressed

Ergonomics

• I really missed the af-on button on the d700.  Now I have it back. The d7000 button is way too close to the view finder that my face presses against my thumb.

• I like being able to turn on auto ISO using main dial. You can also adjust the behavior of the auto ISO, which is nice. I haven't really test it out since everything is ISO 6400 right now. :(. My apartment is real dark.

• the button for zoom is flipped from the d7000. This is a real annoyance. I'll probably get used to it, but I see no reason for flipping it.

Autofocus

• I'm still trying to get a feel for it. I think I have a bit of front focus, but I need to put it through a thorough test. The shallower dof makes af precision more important.

Others

• the shutter sound is louder than d7000. I think I'll miss the quiet shutter.

• the options for different crop are great. I think i'll really like the 5/4 crop.

• I need to purchase some new cf and ad cards. I have some sandisk extreme III cf cards and 20mb/sec sd cards and it looks like it take about 3 secs to save an image. Luckily, the camera can only do 4fps

More to come after I actually take some pictures.

tyroiii's gear list:tyroiii's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow