Tamron 60/f2 or Nikon 60/2.8G?

Started Jun 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 12,436Gear list
Like?
Re: The Nikon would be a good choice.
In reply to hoof, Jun 16, 2012

For starters, that f/2 one stop on DX isn't much of an advantage and especially so for macro shooting where you just don't shoot at wide apertures. Secondly, nobody shooting FX is going to want to use crop mode where you lose over half your pixel count, in this case, because you might have chosen the wrong lens.

It doesn't matter why they made it and whether it is a replacement for the 90 Tamron. Both lenses get the crop factor on DX. Both have the FOV of a 90mm optic mounted on DX. The obvious difference is, I can mount the Nikon on an FX camera and can shoot FX. The Tamron can't.

The Tamron might be as sharp as the Nikon. I don't know and don't always trust review sites because they only test one lens.

You mention the backlash on the focus ring. That Tamron has the old fashioned rotary micro focus motor Nikon hasn't used really in 10 to 15 years, since the AFI lenses were retired. Micro motors whine noisily as they age. They tend to overshoot and therefore have to hunt for focus. They tend to be less accurate when they lock, and they tend to be somewhat slower than modern focus motors. I personally wouldn't touch a Tamron micro motor with a Canon much less one of my Nikons. That's why I searched for months for a screw drive Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. That's why screw drive models bring more used with some Tamron lenses. The fact that this Tamron 60 is DX is a huge strike, but the fact that the motor isn't a Sonic Ring type is the biggest strike it has in my opinion.

In conclusion, I wouldn't consider it anywhere close to a wash. Unless you can be sure you're staying DX I think the Tamron is not a good investment. Moreover, the lack of a modern Hypersonic Ring focusing motor is a huge downside. Why Tamron has been so slow in adopting modern focusing motors is beyond me. Same goes for Tokina. Sigma, at least, has added HSM to most of their glass.

The final nail is Nikon optics and quality. You're not talking an average Nikon lens here. With the 60 f/2.8 AFS G, you're talking one of their very best, complete with Nano coatings and all the higher end options. It's truly a no compromise high end chunk of glass, environmentally sealed and solid build.
--
Cheers, Craig

Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow