Started Jun 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 26,068
Like?
Re: A few questions...
In reply to J Mankila, Jun 16, 2012

J Mankila wrote:

rhlpetrus wrote:

Is that it? If so, possibly, we may have the V1's PDAF in this camera for LV and video, a very interesting proposition.

To me it sounds like the low-end FX DSLR wouldn't be the best vessel to introduce sensor based PDAF in the DSLR line. I strongly believed it would be introduced in the D4, but that didn't happen. However, it's likely that Nikon didn't create the technology solely for their mirrorless bodies...

But we would've heard about it if there were rumours regarding it, no?

If D3200's tech is in this sensor, with 14bit ADC system, this camera will be close to D800 in performance, better than D4's in terms of DR (D3200 and D4 have about same DR at same image size output).

Do you think the D3200's slightly "elevated" (when compared to D800) read noise at base ISO is due to the 12 bit recording? It's been a while since I pondered these issues, and my memory is failing. Or is it about the microlenses, the lower end bodies not receiving the best-of-the-best that Nikon can produce?

The microlenses have no effect on read noise, that is purely a silicon issue. This is not a Sony sensor, so doesn't have the same column ADC architecture. What is remarkable is that the designers have got so close to the column ADC performance. And yes the QE (which is affected by the microlenses) is not as high as the best of Nikon/Sony so there might have been some corners cut there.

Indeed, this is just to confirm that the manufacturer that made Nikon the D3200 24MP DX sensor is capable of the same sort of performance as Sony with their 36MP FX sensor (if both produced 14bit raws).

I think it will be close. My own guess for the sensor is that this is Nikon design, with on chip ADC IP designs bought in, very probably from Aptina and fabricated somewhere (Aptina does not fab its own sensors, they use Micron and other foundries). Possibly Nikon microlens technology, but single layer. The patents I've seen for the two layer Nikon microlenses show the bottom element embedded in the chip overglass, which i can imagine is an expensive technology.
--
Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
D400New
REALNew
REALNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow