A77 - Trusted Reviews

Started Jun 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
stevebarron
Regular MemberPosts: 133Gear list
Like?
Re: A77 - Trusted Reviews
In reply to EvilOne, Jun 16, 2012

I have to admit that I first purchased the camera with the Sony 16-50 lens back in November and I (somewhat reluctantly) returned it after 10 days. Although I loved the camera in so many respects it did seem very noisy and I was getting taken in by some of the negative posters here at DP Review which did influence my decision to return it.

However, I kept returning to this forum to keep an eye on things and I was really missing all the great things that the camera had to offer. Also, during my initial 10 days use I did not try out MFNR properly and I realised that perhaps I should have done so.

I kept the images that I had taken with the camera and I began to see that viewing 24mp images at 100% will show more noise but like most people, in reality I do not view my images at 100% in the real world. I view them on a 10 inch digital photo frame, a 1920 x 1200 24 inch monitor or i may print them to A4 size. I do also use Lightroom and noise can be dealt with reasonably effectively with this software. Most of my photography is in daylight and the camera of course has built-in flash for those close-up indoor (or outdoor) shots that are too dim to use ISO 1600/3200 or lower. And of course there is MFNR or HHT.

After further consideration, I decided to purchase the camera again at the end of February and I am pleased that i did as I am having great fun with it and am still learning and experimenting with the features of the camera. I purchased with the Sony 16-50 lens again and also purchased the Tammy 18-270 PZD.

I am very happy with my equipment and I don't really see why people get so hung-up on this "low light, high ISO" thing unless they are shooting sports or action in low light regularly. Sure it would be nice to have the ability to shoot in the lowest light possible with minimum noise but that is way down my list of priorities and there are many other feautres the A77 has that are far more useful on a more regfular basis.

Not only is the A77 great fun to use, it alos feels absolutely fantastic in the hand - no other camera that i have picked up feels as good!

stevebarron's gear list:stevebarron's gear list
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II PZD +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow