Started Jun 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pxlwz
Regular MemberPosts: 102
Like?
D800 back from El Segundo, Af problem persists
Jun 16, 2012

I received my D800 on 5/24/12 N0 30125xx, shipped it to El Segundo on 5/31/12 and got it back on Tuesday (12 days later): Left and right AF issues. i shipped it with the also new 50mm 1.8G and nef samples, since it was worse with this lens, than with my 80-200 VRII.

After 12 days without it, The invoice said, no problem found with the D800, adjusted AF operation on the 50 1.8.

Today I did some more testing: Camera on Foba stand, Target was Edmund resolving chart, distance not quite 8 feet. Repro lighting (1 flash striplite to the left, one to the right), 1 1K tungsten from the top for focussing only. Camera settings: Manual, AFS 1/125th @ f1.8

3 shots on the left focus point with live view, 3 with Viewfinder AF, 3/3 for the middle point and 3/3 for the right AF point. All lights were of, AF on button was used for focusing, Shutterboss as trigger release:

Left side LV fairly sharp, Viewfinder fuzzy, middle point everything sharp, right side nothing really sharp (LV and Viewfinder). I understand, that this 50 1.8G can't really be sharp all over wide open, but I would be happy, if i would get the sharpness of LV from the left side on both, the left and right AF point.

BTW, the six files from each focuspoint were imported into LR4, opened in CS6, cropped 100% and sharpened in CS6 @500/0.3/0. Shown is only the part, where the focus point was.

I went to my dealer today, and basically got told, that Nikon does not support small dealers, and I am on my own….

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow