Is the 16-85 and 70-300vr the ultimate DX setup?

Started Jun 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Shunda77
Senior MemberPosts: 1,516Gear list
Like?
Is the 16-85 and 70-300vr the ultimate DX setup?
Jun 16, 2012

I've had my D5100 & 18-55 + 55-200 kit for a while now, and while I love it, I am finding the focal length cut offs with these lenses more and more irritating.

I am not sure if that is due to my use of superzoom bridge cams in the past, or simply what I like to shoot (landscapes/nature, usually at short notice and in a "walk around" context).

The 'all in one' 18-200 zooms are not really an option for me as they aren't quite wide enough (I am used to at least 24mm equivalent and use it frequently) and I am concerned about image quality compromises to some extent.

It seems one compelling option would be the 16-85vr as a good walk around landscapes/nature lens, and then the 70-300vr for telephoto.

I know the 70-300 wasn't designed for the D5100, but does this really matter? are there any problems with using this lens on the budget Nikon bodies?

I would be really interested in any advice or experience others may have had with these lenses.

I am glad I went with a DSLR, but I feel the experience isn't quite where I want it to be just yet and I am stating to miss my bridge cam!

Any help or comment would be much appreciated.

Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
nopeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow