How will the Canon mirrorless entry affect MFT?

Started Jun 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DonInPgh
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
How will the Canon mirrorless entry affect MFT?
Jun 16, 2012

With the strongly growing rumors of a Canon mirrorless camera with a sensor similar in size to MFT, I can't help but wonder what the impact will be on the MFT format as well as Panasonic and Olympus. I really love the results my Olympus cameras give me and the Panasonic lenses (20mm and 25mm) are simply wonderful. I have a well spec'd DSLR system and I find myself reaching for it less and less, favoring my MFT gear. The more I use it the more I think mirrorless is a better choice for the average consumer... they just don't know it yet, and salespeople and stores push DSLRs simply because that is the way things have always been.

I think Olympus and the format stand on their own merits but Canon is such a marketing juggernaut I fear that the general public will follow them blindly just because it says Canon on it. Throw in the average knowledge level of the typical big-box store employee here in the United States (not knowing what makes MFT great like the Olympus jpgs, Panny primes, etc) and Canon could quickly drain a great deal of the mirrorless sales. Given the shaky financial picture of Olympus I don't know how they would weather the storm. Sure, the other part of the big two, Nikon, entered the arena but the system is badly flawed. The NEX has a big sensor but the optical choices just aren't there. If Canon's camera is merely adequate and has a big enough sensor, that could be enough to really hurt my now-favorite format.

Enthusiasts will always know what makes MFT great and support it, but are we enough if the general consumer trends towards Canon mirrorless?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Duh!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow