If anyone is interested in an AA v no AA analysis

Started Jun 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
Rriley
Forum ProPosts: 21,844Gear list
Like?
Re: Not really...
In reply to rovingtim, Jun 15, 2012

rovingtim wrote:

Okay, before I say this, keep in mind I'm a huge advocate of a functional AA filter in front of a sensor.

However, my esteemed colleagues assure me they cannot see any alias artifacts in their E5 shots ... other than the occasional moire. Now, I do see artifacts all over most E5 shots. However, if the alias artifacts are so subtle that only a few people even notice them, are they important for the majority of photographers?

you've made several demonstrations that you declare are comparisons, and the results have appeared very oversharpened, yet you don't seem to notice this

But to answer your question, I think if I had to choose between aliasing and moire that apparently your esteemed colleagues cant see and the displays of oversharpening, I'd take the former...

This, of course, then begs the question: is a well tuned AA filter even necessary for the majority of photographers ... especially as many of them wet themselves over pixel sharpness ... something an alias filter does soften?

doesn't even allow a respectable response

-- hide signature --

Riley

any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow