ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bryan M
Regular MemberPosts: 493Gear list
Like?
Samsung vs. Sony
Jun 15, 2012

Hello everyone:

I am trying to decide on which mirrorless system to go with and I would appreciate your thoughts. I am currently using a Nikon D300 with the 16-85 and 35 1.8 lenses. I would call myself an advanced amateur but have been paid to shoot weddings (a couple dozen). I prefer to shoot RAW and do my own post processing.

I recently went on a trip and hauled my small kit in a nice sling bag but found it cumbersome. I love the image quality from my current kit but long for something lighter. I have narrowed my choice between the Samsung NX20, NX210 and the Sony NEX-7.

I am leaning towards the Sony NEX-7 but have some reservations. My biggest concerns with both systems is lens availability and selection. The NEX-7 is supposed to have a great sensor and battery life. It seems Samsung may have a better lens selection and some very interesting rumored lenses...

Samsung iFn 12-24mm f/4 OIS ED VCM
Samsung iFn 55mm f/1.8 pancake
Samsung iFn 30mm f/2 pancake (version II)
Samsung iFn 16-50mm f/2.8 OIS SSA

I have read that the Samsung cameras are slow to process RAW files, is this a concern for any of you? I really like that Samsung is innovating and doing some new things (iFunction lenses & wireless controls). Their prices are a bit more reasonable than Sony's as well.

Have any of used both cameras? If so, what is your thoughts.

-- hide signature --
 Bryan M's gear list:Bryan M's gear list
Samsung NX300 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +2 more
Nikon D300 Samsung NX210 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow