ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gico62
Regular MemberPosts: 103
Like?
450D vs 550D: IQ side by side comparison
Jun 15, 2012

Hi gilrls,

I’m using a 450D and like many others here, I’m thinking to upgrade to 550D/600D, mainly for better IQ.

So I read a lot of discussions comparing IQ of these two cameras: some say 550 is FAR better; other say is nearly the same; other say 18Mp vs 12Mp is a huge improvement for cropping; and so on…

I had the chance to keep the 550D of a friend for a copule of days, so I could make a simple side by side test.
For both cameras I used
kit 18-55IS lens
“P” program
ISO set to 200
Focus set to central point

So I took 40-50 pictures in daylight, first with one camera and then with the other, focusing exactly at the same point.

Both cameras were free to choose shutter and aperture and more or less they used the same values.

Anyway the 550 used lower shutter values, even when at same aperture value as 450.

I examined pictures side by side using ACDSee Pro 5 comparison tool at orginal size (100%).

18Mp vs 12Mp doesn’t make any difference: 18mp picture is no so that bigger than 12mp, so the benefits of major cropping are VERY, VERY limited, perhaps null.

550D delivers SLIGHTLY better pictures: more detailed, crisp, defined, but not so much. In some cases this is more noticeable in other cases it is less.
450 pictures seems just a little blurred compared to 550.

Rarely 450 beats the 550. I’d say that you can recognize at first look which camera took which shot.
Anyway, I repeat, IQ is slightly better, it’s not night and day.

So I think that probably are right people who say that is better get a better glass than going from 450 to 550.

I didn’t make tests in low light situations, where obviously 550 is the ruler because of its high ISO capabilities (the main advantage compared to 450, talking about IQ, in my opinion).

If you want I can upload some example, as soon as I select the more significant (within a couple of days).
Just my opinion.
Gico

Canon EOS 450D (EOS Rebel XSi / EOS Kiss X2) Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow