Yeah, got my new 5D-II - and it is defect...

Started Jun 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jan Madsen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,398
Like?
Yeah, got my new 5D-II - and it is defect...
Jun 15, 2012

After long deliberation over what to purchase (my 1Ds-II is still working, but the shutter is slowly failing) I had decided to wait and see what Canon would come up with - and that was the 5D-III, which in my eyes is too little for too much compared to the 5D-II. So the decision was finally made to purchase the 5D-II at a reasonable price, and then await the hopefully soon coming super-high-resolution FF camera at an affordable price (lets see...!).

I tried getting a used 5DII, but prices are insane, close to, and sometimes exceeding new stuff price. So a new 5D-II was purchased 14 days ago on ebay, promptly arrived - and gave around 10% pink images with noise at the top of the frames. Well, the CF card is old (SanDisk Extreme IV 8GB), but works fine in the 1Ds-II, but you never know, so I ordered a brand new card (Lexar Professional 400x 32GB), arrived yesterday. Result: Pink images with noise at the top of the frames. Both cards back in the 1Ds-II, and they work fine. Back in the 5D-II, and formatted, result: Pink images with noise at the top of the frames. And after one or more pink images live view starts without image on the display, and is thus totally useless. Plus on two occasions the camera locked up completely in live view (battery out to get things going again). The CF cards themself are fine, no errors with file structure, and images (correct and pink) all appear normal in format and readability on PC.

So much for the famous Canon end control... I have tested some more today, now it is around 95% pink images, so it gets worse and worse. Hopefully I can get an replacement unit.

Would like to show a pink image example, but dpreview upload seems to be out of order right now.

Have others encountered the same problem?
--

• Jan

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow