mirrorless prices are becoming ludicrous

Started Jun 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
peevee1
Senior MemberPosts: 4,889Gear list
Like?
Re: let's compare equivalents shall we?
In reply to antoineb, Jun 15, 2012

antoineb wrote:

• all else being equal it is clearly costlier to manufacturer larger lenses (that's why some of these large long teles cost several thousand). The Oly 75mm has a metal tube vs a plastic for the Nikon - as for the rest the manufacturing tolerances are probably similar (though I'd trust Nikon more given the much larger number of lenses they make), and the lenses are probably similar quality. So the COST of making the Oly must be LESS than that of making the Nikon. Assuming similar margins then Oly should sell this thing for maybe $400-450.

I have no doubt that the marginal cost (i.e. without fixed costs) of manufacturing and delivering a lens correlates very strongly with the weight of it, with coefficient of correlation of 0.7 or higher. And judging from many examples where they make profit, say, at $99 for the Oly 40-150 with 13 elements (including ED) in 10 groups, the marginal manufacturing cost of that lens is somewhere near $50. And the marginal cost for Oly 75 mm/2.0, with 10 elements in 9 groups and without zoom could not possibly be much higher. Say, $30-$75. And even 12-35, with 14 elements - well, maybe $80.

So the question is not in manufacturing cost, but between how many customers they want to distribute their fixed costs, including R&D (about 7% of their costs), tooling, administrative, yakuza payoffs etc.

With that recent crop, unfortunately, they decided they better swindle unlucky few than try to make a real mass-market product.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
mmm,New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow