Started Jun 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jim in Hudson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,140Gear list
Like?
Pentax K30 or Canon 60D?
Jun 15, 2012

Long time lurker (and learner), first time poster -- at least under this user name as I lost my registration info from a long time ago.

I currently use an Olympus EP-1 which takes very nice pictures but after nearly two years I finally have to admit that I'm never going to compose as well with an LCD screen. So... I've been shopping for a mid-priced APS-C DSLR but haven't found anything yet that has screamed "buy me". I'm also a former Pentax SLR owner from decades ago and so at least have that familiarity with the brand. Since I know Pentax owners are much more likely to know about cameras than the average Canon owner, I'd like to ask people here for their opinions as they will be highly respected by me.

The cameras that I've been able to actually see in limited shopping are:

Canon T3i
Nikon D5100
Nikon D7000
Sony A57

What kept me from buying each of these:

T3i and D5100 -- both have viewfinder images that are too small. Is this because they have pentamirrors?
D7000 -- more than I want to spend though the viewfinder image is excellent

A57 -- don't care as much for the EVF though the image is big. Don't shoot videos so that negates one of it's biggest selling features. Have also heard Sony are weak on supporting anything below an A77 with firmware updates.

I know Pentax makes outstanding cameras and was going to seek out a K30 when they become available as it stays within my three-figure bogey of what I think I should spend on a camera that I don't "need". I'm presuming the K30 viewfinder will be quite good with a pentaprism. However, I came across a deal today on the Canon 60D for a very unexpected price -- has the 18 - 135 kit lens for what the common body-only price is (makes my three-figure target with room to spare). Yes, it's seems legit from a very large West coast based electronics superstore (not sure of forum rules on posting retailers and prices).

Is there a reason to keep waiting for the K30? Recognizing that no one has a K30 to offer an in-depth opinion for comparison, where might the Canon fall short of what you think the K30 will offer? Dare I'd ask what you'd do?

Many thanks in advance for your valued input.

Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +3 more
Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5) Canon EOS 60D Nikon D5100 Nikon D7000 Pentax K-30 Sony SLT-A57 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow