Without better lenses, the Pentax Q is a wasted effort

Started Jun 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
Edgar Matias
Regular MemberPosts: 164Gear list
Like?
Re: Without better lenses, the Pentax Q is a wasted effort
In reply to Sandyramirez, Jun 15, 2012

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for your articles and photos on the Q. They've certainly opened my eyes to what's possible with this little camera, when in capable hands. In fact, I probably wouldn't be as interested in the Q if I hadn't seen your photos.

However, I think you're missing the point of this discussion -- which is that the Q could go from obscurity to extinction if Pentax doesn't get it some better lenses.

If I need a lens, telling me to be satisfied with what's available or to be "more creative" won't get me that lens. I'm not MacGyver. I'm not a professional photographer with a big collection of legacy lenses and adapters to experiment with. I just want one more lens from Pentax. I'm not asking for anything exotic -- just a fast 100mm-ish equivalent portrait lens that's better than I can get from a high-end P&S, and not too big.

BUT, if they did offer me something exotic, like an F1.0 lens that I can afford ($400 - $500), I wouldn't be able to resist. And Pentax would have me as a permanent customer for future bodies, because I'd have this jewel of a lens.

You say that the Q is meant to be a quirky & fun camera. Maybe so, but to me, cheap lenses on an expensive body isn't quirky and fun -- it's backwards.

I have two old film cameras that are the opposite of what Pentax chose to do: the Yashica T4 Super and the Olympus Stylus Epic. I love these cameras, and treasure the photos I've taken with them. In their day, they were hugely popular with pro photographers and amateurs alike, because they had great lenses on small, cheap bodies. Imagine Canon 5D image quality that you can fit in your pocket, at a price anybody can afford. That's exciting!

Now I'm not expecting 5D image quality from the Q, but I think Pentax got it backwards. It's too expensive for a quirky & fun camera. Its lenses aren't good enough for an enthusiast compact. So it's stuck in this mediocre middle ground that most people don't find appealing enough -- especially compared to a high-end P&S with a zoom lens better than Pentax's primes.

Pentax needs to decide what they want the Q to be, and act accordingly. They can cheapen the body, or make better lenses, or both. But if they do nothing (as you seem to suggest) or make more slow lenses, I won't be buying one, even though I want to.

Edgar Matias's gear list:Edgar Matias's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Apple iPhone 5 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow