Venus, the sun, DA*300 and the AF 1.7x TC

Started Jun 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
JeffAHayes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,928Gear list
Like?
Re: Venus, the sun, DA*300 and the AF 1.7x TC
In reply to BobORama, Jun 15, 2012

It was a sunny day, here, and I have a Bigma 50-500 (got some pretty great shots of Venus when it was at its closest recently), and a circa 1995 heavy aluminum Bogen Tripod (would be sold as Manfrotto today). In fact, it's really too heavy for me to lug around, so I'm gonna have to find a reasonably priced carbon fiber (they didn't have those in '95). There's one at Costco that claims it will hold up to 15 pounds and has a pretty good articulating head for $99. I was looking at it the other day, but got interrupted by camera customers who decided I looked like I "knew my stuff" and started asking my advice on cameras, lol.

Anyway, I thought about shooting that transit, but I couldn't figure out how I could do it without GOING BLIND, lol -- or RUINING my K-5 -- or BOTH. I considered working out some way to project the image on some white posterboard (which I DO have), but I just thought to myself there would be SO MANY copies online, taken by ASTRONOMERS, that would beat what I could do, and I let it go.

Yours looks GREAT, though. What kind of filter did you use? I have just ONE for my Bigma (it takes a 95mm, so they aren't cheap, and I just have a Circular Polarizer for it).
Jeff
--
May the Blessings Be.

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow