5d mkiii lack of built-in flash

Started Jun 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
surf1
Regular MemberPosts: 161Gear list
Like?
Re: As far as I'm concerned...
In reply to jmagbita, Jun 15, 2012

jmagbita wrote:

My original thought behind my post about the need for external flash on the 5d mkiii actually pertains to the need for one while traveling on vacation.. i can't imagine having to bring along 3 lenses (wide zoom, normal zoom, and a fast prime) PLUS a flash while in Italy or Spain or anywhere else.. do people do this while traveling?

and that's my basic concern with the 5d mkiii not having a built in flash, for those few evenings when you might want one..

how do the semi-pro or serious hobby photographers here do it? thoughts?

Since nobody seems to have directly answered your question, I am chiming in. Yes, I usually do bring a flash, including travel. Why? Learning to use the flash off-camera has opened a new world of possibilities (see TheStrobist). I am bringing one flash with a basic set of gels. It's not much space and weight.

I am using the built-in flash as a trigger and control system (Nikon Creative Lighting System, yes, I am from the "dark side"). As I understand, the 5DIII now has a built-in radio trigger? That would be a great feature.

Just to give you 2 examples of my off-camera use I am attaching 2 photos from Cambodia, one where I used the flash (with orange gel) bounced to support the available light, and another one where I used it directly on the dancer to overpower the available light. In both cases I just put the flash on a table or the stage and controlled it from camera. In this case I think it was on the stage as you can see from the shadows.

Cheers, Surf

surf1's gear list:surf1's gear list
Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow