X10 or RX100 and why?

Started Jun 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
photofan1986
Senior MemberPosts: 2,046Gear list
Like?
Re: X10 or RX100 and why?
In reply to snapshot09, Jun 15, 2012

Well, it depends. The X10 is a nice camera to shoot, thanks to its controls, manual zoom, build quality... I don't care much for the viewfinder (too approximative), but the zoom lens is very nice.

The Sony on the other hand has the obvious size advantage, and a bigger sensor, so as a take everywhere notepad, it might be better to complement a DSLR.

However, after doing some comparison (mostly high ISO), here are my findings:

-The Sony has nice colours, but Fuji is still ahead, in jpeg at least.

-For high resolution landscapes, the Sony is ahead, by quite a bit. Not only has it more pixels, but per pixel sharpness is better than the EXR sensor from the Fuji. So no contest in this round.

-Dynamic range seems very good for the sensor size on the Sony, and it's certainly (I'd say) one stop better than the X10 in full size mode. You'd have to shoot DR200 to get the same DR (roughly).

-From the jpegs, I'd say the RX100 has a good full stop advantage at high ISO. What does it mean? Well, as the lens on the Sony has roughly the same speed at wide angle, the Sony allows you to shoot more comfortably (1 stop) in wide angle compared to the Fuji. However, it loses it advantage rapidly as the lens is already f2.8 at 35mm and f4.0 at 66mm. That means that at 35mm, the Fuji and the Sony will have roughly the same low light ability and over 35, the Fuji takes the lead. At 112mm (100 for the Sony), the lens opens at 2.8 on the Fuji and 4.9 on the Sony, which gives the Fuji a stop and a half advantage. Considering the one stop difference in sensor performance, the Fuji is slightly better there.

-Finally, I think that the X10 has reached a level of quality that is sufficient for a compact camera and for many uses. The Sony will have better detail and high iso, but does it really matter? I mean, I'm a pixel peeper, as many of you are, but when I ask myself how many big prints I've done recently, I can count them on one hand. I don't print (much), and finally I shoot for fun and for pleasure.

I think that today's compact cameras have reached a level of quality where you don't really have to worry whether it will be good at high iso, or whether 12 megapixels is enough; the most important thing is to enjoy shooting your camera.
And in this particular area, I think the X10 is really something special.

One last thing to add. I bought an LX5 because of the orbs problem, but I will sell it, as I bought an X10, knowing the sensor has been fixed now. Why? The LX5 is a very nice camera, and I really enjoyed it, but the colours are just not right. I could shoot raw, but from a compact camera, I expect simplicity.

So I would say that what matters the most to me is the pleasure I get from shooting with a camera. I have priorities, and can't get over some issues, but everyone has to think of it and find the camera that suits him/her best.

photofan1986's gear list:photofan1986's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow