What'coming from Pentax in 2012

Started Jun 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
JeffAHayes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,602Gear list
Like?
Re: What'coming from Pentax in 2012
In reply to ET2, Jun 15, 2012

I saw one person post that he's waiting to get FF until he sees what comes next from Canon, Nikon, Sony and possibly Pentax, and who has the "best deal" in an entry-level FF camera.

I REALLY don't get that, as the CAMERA BODY is the LITTLE END of the kit, and we ALL KNOW THAT! Even if, as one poster said, all a high-end shooter gets is an F2.8 70-200 and an F2.8 24-70 (or ballpark), you're looking at an additional $3,000 (or MORE for those two lenses if you buy the manufacturer's FF lens -- JUST the 70-200 in CaNikon is going to be close to $3,000, I think). And most of us WON'T be satisfied with JUST those two lenses... We'll also want at least ONE extra-wide-angle lens, and at least one FAST lens (F2 or F1.4 or 1.8). Those will run another thousand or two, at least, depending on manufacturer -- unless you buy Sigma, Tamron or Tokina.

And people FAIL to mention what, to me, is THE BIGGEST BONUS of shooting APS-C -- the fact that every lens you buy, whatever mm it's rated at, you get 50% MORE THAN that for the same price, but even NEW lenses, MADE for APS-C, are MADE AND SOLD at the OLD 35mm-equivalent focal range, so we're NOT paying for the extra focal range we're getting. When I think that I paid $360 for a 55-300 lens and got an 83-450 lens it just BLOWS MY MIND!

There are PLENTY of pros -- on both the Pentax platform, as well as shooting CaNikon and some of the other brands, who do JUST FINE with APS-C. If you want FF so darned bad, SWITCH CAMERA PLATFORMS!
Jeff
--
May the Blessings Be.

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow