d 400 is (perhaps) coming.

Started Jun 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
Kerry Pierce
Forum ProPosts: 17,101Gear list
Like?
excellent post, John
In reply to jfriend00, Jun 15, 2012

jfriend00 wrote:

I think Nikon knows that all those action photographers out there who want something for less than $2k and for whom DX works well didn't just disappear over the last few years. They are all still here and shooting with their D300/D300s cameras.

Excellent post, John. It very well represents my thoughts on it, and likely the thoughts of most that are wanting a d400. I'd like to expand a little on your thoughts. While it's certainly true that the d300 found its way into the bags of many pros, the vast majority of d300 users are amateurs. For example, Hogan used one for a long time, only recently switching to a d4. That many pros used it, simply demonstrates how good the d300 is and what should be expected from its replacement. That's not a trivial point.

Nikon knows this, without doubt. They know that it's simply absurd to expect amateurs to buy a d4, even if they can afford it. They knew what they were doing when they brought out the d300 with the d3, effectively rendering the d2x obsolete. They know that the d800 lacks the features necessary to replace the d300 and they know that it would be cost prohibitive to put those features in a d600, while selling it at the d300 price point. That only leaves room for a pro level DX camera.

But, hey, if they want to stuff the d600 with the d300's feature list and sell it as a loss leader, I'd go for that. Sadly, that won't likely happen. I'm afraid that we'll just have to bide our time until they are ready to release the d300 replacement.

Kerry
--
my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/root

Kerry Pierce's gear list:Kerry Pierce's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow