Started Jun 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MingJin
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
A Fraud in Auto ISO of D800
Jun 14, 2012

D800's Auto ISO implementation was a great improvement over the previous one - it allows the user to set minimum shutter speed with an auto option, 1/FocalLength*(n) where n could be 0.25, 0.5, 1, 2, 4. The fraud I found was that when the auto option was used, the ISO value would change when switch framing mode. For example, if auto option is set at center, or 1, and the shutter speed is at 1/100s with the ISO value at 400, a switch to crop mode of 24-16 would bump the shutter speed to 1/160s with ISO value more than 1000.

This would not be an issue if there is enough time to make the right adjustment, such as turn the auto option of minimum shutter speed down. But that may not be enough time. I used to change to cropping mode when subject is small and faster frame rate was needed.

On the other hand, why would the shutter speed change because of changing of framing mode? Adding to the trouble, the menu item to change minimum shutter speed for auto ISO could not be set for a fn button, or as an entry in custom menu.

I hope a future firmware update would fix that. Any suggestion to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

-Ming

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow