Got a D800 and D4... Guess which AF works.

Started Jun 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
em_dee_aitch
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,675
Like?
Got a D800 and D4... Guess which AF works.
Jun 14, 2012

So I just bought a D4 and a D800. In the same series of basic AF checks, the D4 works, no problems. And the D800 works, too, so long as you don't try to focus with the LEFT focus points. Center and Right points match CDAF results with uncanny accuracy, but Left focus points just make blur. Lots and lots of blur. Unless of course I set the fine tune value based on the left side, in which case the center and right suck. D'oh. Now the choice between two bad options: retail return or Nikon Service. I hate to punish the retailer, but historically Nikon Service is totally unreliable.

Geez, and this body I got was new enough to have the new firmware update pre-installed, and Nikon is still NOT checking these things before they go out the door for this known issue. Any of you who think that the new ones are not affected are being overly optimistic. And as to any outright deniers, you're all either deluded, bought off, lying, or just ignorant.

FYI. YMMV. Congrats to you who got good units off the shelf that don't do this. I am disgusted that Nikon continues to pass these POS units through QC in the latest shipments.

-- hide signature --

David Hill
http://www.sanfranciscoweddingphotographer.com
San Francisco & San Jose, CA | Austin, TX
Wedding Photographer and Apparent Gearhead

Nikon D4 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow