Started Jun 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jag64551
Regular MemberPosts: 109Gear list
Like?
Comparing Canon 35mm f1.4 L with 50mm f1.4
Jun 14, 2012

First of all, yes, I know there is a big price difference between the two lenses, and if I came across an extra $300, I would keep the 50mm f1.4. I also know the 50mm f1.2 is not that much more than the 35mm L, but I think the 35mm might be a little more versatile for my purposes.

I also realize they are two very different lenses. However, I have a 5D Mark II and a 7D, so I can really play with how I want to use the 35mm (full frame vs cropped). My other lenses are a 24-105mm f4 L IS and a 70-200mm f4 IS L. Main use would be weddings/receptions, portraits and some events/sports (where I can get close).

Since they are quite different lenses based on focal length, I'm not really looking for comparisons between what they are good for and what they aren't good for. I was more wondering how the 35mm L compares to the 50mm f1.4 in the following areas:

-Bokeh
-Sharpness at high and mid-range apertures
-AF speed and accuracy

I've been disappointed with the AF accuracy and some low light AF hunting with my 50mm, so just wondering what I should expect with the 35mm L. The 50mm f1.4 copies I've had have also been pretty unusable at f1.4 and f1.6 (and usually f1.8) in terms of sharpness, for client work. Would the 35mm L be better at those apertures?

Thanks!

jag64551's gear list:jag64551's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow