Wait. What?? No optical drive on 17" models?

Started Jun 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,689
Like?
Re: Wait. What?? No optical drive on 17" models?
In reply to owenleve, Jun 14, 2012

owenleve wrote:

Am I correct that the new MBP laptop will not have an optical disc drive?

The MacBook Pros that do not have the Retina Display still have an onboard optical disc drive (and a hard disk bay, and Gigabit Ethernet ports, and Firewire ports, and user-upgradable RAM). These include 13" and 15" models.

The MacBooks that are following the "Thin and Light" model (i.e., all of the MacBook Airs, plus the MacBook Pro with Retina Display) do not.

If this is true WTF is apple thinking?

I believe they are thinking that optical media will become largely obsolete, or at least, not something most people will need to use on the go. And the optical drive is one of the biggest pieces of "low-hanging fruit" when one is attempting to shave weight and bulk from a laptop.

I frequently burn DVD's while traveling for clients/delivery of projects.

Then get one of the models with a DVD burner built in, or buy the external SuperDrive that Apple sells for use with notebooks that do not have built-in burners.

I enjoy the 17" screen while traveling but now looking ahead this isn't a violable option? If this is correct the 17" should NOT be in the pro lineup. DVD/CD delivery is still the norm for delivering projects to commercial clients, weddings, etc., etc. REALLY makes me wonder the logic here.

There are no 17" Mac notebooks any more. The "15-inch MBP with Retina Display" has characteristics of both the Airs and the non-Retina 15-inch MBP. I personally think it would be less confusing to classify it as an Air first, and a high-end power user's machine second, but I can see arguments for doing it the other way. (E.g., while the 15" Retina MBP is considerably lighter than the 15" non-Retina MBP, it still isn't in the same territory as the smaller Airs.)

I was ready for an upgrade but the last thing I want to deal with is to have to pack an external drive. I"m sometimes away from my desktop computer for months. I'd rather have an extra .25" to carry around v.s. an entire other device in the bad.

Then get the 15" non-Retina MBP, and custom-order it with the "hi-res" (non-IPS) screen and the anti-glare treatment. You'll get an upgraded CPU and GPU and USB 3.0 and a built-in DVD burner; just not a 1.5 pound weight reduction or the Retina Display.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow