Started Jun 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hzmeyer
Contributing MemberPosts: 978Gear list
Like?
Let go my feathers
Jun 14, 2012

There has been recent talk about the quality of the Sigma 50-500 on the D800. I don't have my D800 yet but have been using this lens on my D3. During a recent walk around one of our lakes in Michigan I came across a Flicker and two Sandhill Cranes just seconds apart. My D3 was set in aperature priority at f/7.1 with an ISO of 1600.

The Flicker was several feet from the trail so I zoomed to 500mm. The D3 set the shutter to 1/100. I hand held the camera and took a deep breath since I was walking uphill. I think the OS did a good job at taking out my built in shake.

Just a few feet ahead I came across the Sandhills. No time to change lenses but I didn't need to since the Sigma had plenty of focal range. At 170mm I was able to able to capture the much larger birds. The images are much sharper viewed directly from the computer.
I love this lens.

Nikon D3 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow