Nikon J1 - the right choice (family newbie)

Started Jun 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Identity
Contributing MemberPosts: 937
Like?
Re: Nikon J1 - the right choice (family newbie)
In reply to chipmaster, Jun 14, 2012

I eventually gave up on my Nikon V1 and sold it for some of the same reasons you mentioned. It was great in good light, but required manual control of shutter speed and/or ISO to get decent results indoors without a flash. I know how to do these things (and shoot with a DSLR as well in full manual mode), but the V1 was bought to capture quick, spontaneous family photos and at this task, it failed. My wife especially found it frustrating. We also found that it was still too big and heavy to really carry with us everywhere.

I've sold it and replaced it with a Sony WX150. It's a tiny pocketable camera with a good zoom range (greater than a V1 2-lens combo) and the amazing thing is, it focuses just as quickly as the V1, and also shoots 10fps in short bursts. It actually focuses more quickly and reliably in low light than my V1. And while there is substantial noise reduction at high ISO in low lighting, the photos still look remarkably good for such a small-sensor camera and it does a good job choosing reasonable shutter speeds. I've been amazed at how well it performs in all conditions. You can see some sample snapshots in my flickr gallery.
-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zoecrib/
-

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow