Started Jun 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
billhuegerich
Forum MemberPosts: 87
Like?
E-M5 first impressions
Jun 14, 2012

My black e-m5 arrived yesterday. I've only been messing around, customizing and playing with it so far, but I do have a couple first impressions and a question. First off, it's got a solid feel, yet not much different sized from my epl2, other than the hump (way smaller than my Canon 50d). I like the adjustable touch screen, now I'll be able to see what I'm doing when I shoot at low angles or above my head. And the viewfinder is going to be awesome. Even just stepping out on my deck in the bright sun, it's so much more pleasant to use. And, it will clearly be easier to manual focus legacy lenses this way too. Image quality seems good, of course I haven't printed anything yet. And the IBIS is really nice to use while composing/focusing. Oh, and scroll wheels, I so missed those on the epl2. Auto gradation seems to significantly help the DR, which was one of my biggest reasons for wanting to upgrade.

Now, downsides that I see so far. I wish there were more function buttons to program things to. I guess that would be one advantage of getting the grip.

Granted, I'm still trying to learn this thing and customize best for me. Like any new camera, there is a bit of a learning curve. I somehow thought it would be easier coming from the epl2. The playback and fn1 buttons are set back a bit, so you have to get your thumb further forward than the screen and thumb grip. Maybe this was by design to prevent accidental pushing, but it does seem a bit awkward in use.

FYI, I've taken test shots in my house with the 20 1.7 at 3200 and 6400 and did not notice any banding issues. As a whole, I'm pretty sure this is going to quickly become my favorite camera. But, I'll leave that final judgement until I get out to do some real shooting with it. I've got a trip to Spain coming up, so that should be a good test.

Now my question. Maybe this is just stupidity, but I can't for the life of me get it to wirelessly fire the (free after rebate) FL-300R fllash. I turned on the remote flash control in the menu, tried A and B settings on the flash, etc. Can someone tell me what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks,
Bill
--
http://www.bhphotoaday.blogspot.com
http://www.pbase.com/billhuegerich

Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-PL2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow