Started Jun 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MJJSevilla
Regular MemberPosts: 106
Like?
Is the X Pro for me?
Jun 14, 2012

I am seriously thinking about buying an Xpro. For the last few years my main camera has been a film rangefinder and I´m looking for a similar experience. I like framing using an OVF with frame lines as I find seeing outside the capture area helps me with composition. I like manual controls for aperture and shutter speed - I have an Oly EPL-1 which is a fine camera for the price and size but a pain in the backside when you have to change the settings. I´ve been using a Hasselblad Xpan II which has a lot of family resemblence to the X Pro 1 so I have a feeling I´ll be at home. I like hiking and landscape photography so I want a portable kit that I can haul across the countryside without getting tired (I once carried an LF kit up a mountain in Spain - never again! weight counts sometimes) - but crucially has good image quality. Basically a digital version of my Xpan (though im not fussed about the panorama feature).

I don´t care about AF speed, high ISO or IBIS - obviously they are all nice to have, but not priorities.

I do care about build quality, portability, good lenses. I usually take my time to set up a shot but I want accessible controls I don´t have to fight with.

Is the Xpro for me? Can anyone think of a reason why I´d be better off with another system? Let´s play devil´s advocate here.....Why shouldn´t I buy one?

Some concerns:

Lack of histogram in manual mode. Is this a practical concern?

When I heard it had a built in DoF scale I went "yay! just like my old Minolta Dynax 7 years ago" but then I heard it wasn´t so useful due to being over conservative. Ill miss the DoF scales on my Xpan lenses.

Most importantly the 18mm. I hear mixed reports. Some bad initial reviews, other people saying that they don´t agree. I can live with poorer corner sharpness at f2. Not sure I can live with it at f8. What do you reckon?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow