The 24 Megapixel Sensor. Does it Change the Game?

Started Jun 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
richard rodman
Regular MemberPosts: 305
Like?
The 24 Megapixel Sensor. Does it Change the Game?
Jun 14, 2012

I have been slowly upgrading my digital cameras over the 15 years. I consider myself an advanced amateur. I read on photography and I have greatly improved my technical skills over the years. I have always followed the maxim that it is best to use as much lens as possible rather than crop in order to put the maximum number of pixels on the subject.

Fast forward to the NEX 7 with its 24 megapixel sensor. At this time the best lenses for the NEX 7 appear to be the primes such as the CZ 24 f1.8 or even the Sigma 30 f2.8.

Here is my hypothetical for you. Let's assume that the sweet spot on the Sony 18-200mm is at 120mm. I have a choice. I can take with my zoom at 120mm and put all 24 megapixels on the subject, or I can use my prime lens and crop losing a bit of resolution in the process. (I understand there are many other variables here, but let's keep it simple.)

Just to let you know, I rarely print larger than A4, and most of my shots remain on the computer for personal viewing. And, I am not a pixel peeper.

Does the 24 megapixel sensor change the game? Is there enough data in the 24 megapixel sensor to change the way I think about composing a photo?

Richard

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
No !New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow