How to edit metadata in LR4

Started May 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
OP davidevans1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,653
How to get ExifTool to work

Thanks very much for your replies Suddie1215 and JudyN.

I tried ExifTool when you mentioned it but couldn't get it to work, and have just had a concerted effort to get it to work again, but no success so far.
This is where I'm at:
I'm using Windows 7.

I've loaded the software and created a folder 'exifTool Unzipped' in which there are four files:
ExifTool.exe (application)
ExiftoolGUI (application)
ExifToolGUI (Configuration settings)
ExifToolGUI (Text Document).

If I doubleclick on the ExifToolGUI file (which is the only file with an ExifTool icon) I get the message with a red cross saying GUI Message: ExifTool by Phil Harvey not found. GUI does not work without it - see instructions.

Pressing OK to that brings up what I think is the Command Line version rather than the GUI version.

I've read the instructions in the Text Document carefully, and as far as I can tell I've followed them. I think I really need the GUI version.

Anyway in the Command Line Version I can choose a photo file which brings up an option on the right of the screen that says:
ExifTool Direct
Execute Command on selected file(s)
Examples:
-Exif:Artist="Your Name"
-Exif:ISO=200
-Exif:Copyright
and a box to type in.
So I typed -Exif:Lens=35mm F/3.5 A

I've then opened Lightroom, removed the .DNG file I altered in ExifTool, then resyncronised the file back into LR, but the lens details are still not showing on the Exif, so I must be doing something wrong.

Are you able to help further and do you any idea what I should be doing please?
Thanks very much for your help.

-- hide signature --

David

davidevans1's gear list:davidevans1's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow