Started Jun 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DarylK
Senior MemberPosts: 1,590Gear list
Like?
FIF (Fish-In-Flight)
Jun 14, 2012

Spent last week cruising the Caribbean with the family. Discovered what I first thought were low flying birds diving into the water, but never seeming to come up. Finally learned that they are flying fish. (Being a "country boy" from the middle of the North American continent and seldom seeing the ocean, please forgive me for my initial ignorance ;)).

Anyway I tried my luck at shooting a "FIF". My technique...lens set to max zoom, naked eye scanning the water below, see fish, point camera asap, fire away not knowing for sure if hitting the moving target, pray that something comes out :P. My vantage point was from the front of the ship, either on Deck 6 or 7, so pretty high up from the water. Also, they were only staying above the water surface for several seconds, so (for me) a lot more luck than skill was required to get this image. Admittedly, not a great shot, but it was enough to give me an idea of how these amazing creatures work, so I figured I'd share it with all of you. Heavily cropped.

Here is a link to a web site on them if you're interested:
http://www.sallyleebythesea.com/2012/06/amazing-flying-fish.html

-- hide signature --

Great photography is largely a matter of one's perspective, both visually and mentally.
Daryl

DarylK's gear list:DarylK's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye +6 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow