Started Jun 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jaysun
Regular MemberPosts: 328
Like?
Need a new photo editor for dummies
Jun 14, 2012

This is a little sad but, up until the recent demise of Picnik, that was my primary photo editor. I never used Photoshop or anything else. When Google shut down Picnik, I was forced to find other means.

In some ways, I'm happy that it happened. It forced me to have to put on my big boy pants and grow into more challenging software. In many other ways, though, it has made things much more difficult.

Upon abandoning Picnik, I moved over to CS5, Lightroom, and a program called Portrait Professional.

Lightroom has completely changed the way I edit photos, for the better. Eveything is so smooth and easy to do. I can edit 100 photos in the amount of time it used to take me to edit 10. Of course, this only helps me with the overall basic edits (white balance, contrast, tone curve, color, etc), but the pictures come out of Lightroom looking much better than when they went in. It's an incredible, and vital, piece of software for me.

Photoshop, on the other hand, has not been much help. I basically only know how to use the clone tool to remove unwanted blemishes. Anything else may as well be rocket science. I've looked up plenty of "how to's" and it just blows my mind how much work goes into replicating what I could do with a few clicks in Picnik. I've created a couple "multiplicity" photos and edited out a few small things, but that was only after following step-by-step directions and not fully understanding the process.

Portrait Professional was something I picked up because it's marketed towards people like me. It's extremely easy to use and works incrediby if you're working on a tight shot of the face. Otherwise it's useless, though.

Anyway, I've said all this just to ask.... is there a Picnik clone out there? I miss being able to easily soften skin or change hair color. I miss being able to brighten eyes. I miss being able to tan skin and whiten teeth and remove blemishes. I miss being able to isolate a specific color or the color in one portion of a photo, all with a click of a simple tool.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow