Started Jun 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TCull
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?
Would you still buy a D90 today?
Jun 14, 2012

I'm looking at buying into the Nikon family, given that the D90 is currently 650$ new it's extremely interesting. It was thinking:

D90
Battery Grip
Sigma 10-20
Sigma 17-70

Any thoughts on this? I was thinking maybe dropping the 17-70 and getting the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. I usually shoot wide to 85mm and then 135-200mm on a APS-C.

I'd be using this for A) Landscapes, B) Street, C) Within Pubs, and D) Sports. I know it's a wide variety of subjects but I love the landscape but the board sports societies offer me trips etc. during the school year if I shoot their stuff so they can present it for additional funding from the university in the school year. I was also thinking of branching out into other sports.

My limit at the moment is $2,000.00, by the end of the summer i can probably stretch it to 3,000 - 3,500 however that's the upper limits. I'm thinking I should wait but some of my photo friends say the D90 is sufficient.

I'm moving from a Canon 350D (XT) released in 2006. I have the 18-55,50,50-200mm lenses. I noticed it seems to focus faster than the D90 even without a single cross-point AF point. I really do not like the Canon layout but I was given it as a gift a few years ago and I've outgrown it and really appreciate the second dial for more tactile control over the camera, hence my interest in Nikon. I like Pentax, but given sporadic lens price increases etc. I'm weary of their offerings.

Anyone have suggestions? I know it's a lot. If you'd life clarification I'd be more than happy to do so.

• T

Canon EOS 350D (EOS Digital Rebel XT / EOS Kiss Digital N) Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Huh?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow