MacBook Pro Retina has SOLDERED MEMORY!!!

Started Jun 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
linetest
Regular MemberPosts: 277
Like?
Re: MacBook Pro is sealed
In reply to Najinsky, Jun 14, 2012

Najinsky wrote:

Edymagno wrote:

I will warn all my fellow photographers in Mexico about the glued, soldered and sealed new ultra thin "wonder of wonders" from Apple.

Glad I won't be on the receiving end of such irrational, emotional bad advice.

-Najinsky

Agreed. The 2009 time frame of battery failures affected all manufacturers and was no fault of Apple at all. Same with the NVidia video chip failure. I replaced hundreds of system boards in Dell's for that failure. Can't blame Dell though. That same problem is in the MBP's from a few years ago. Can't blame Apple there either.

I have been repairing notebooks for more than 10 years. Don't worry about the battery in modern systems. It is rare that they fail. And if it does, replacing one is not barin surgery, even in the retina system. Not fond of the idea they took the screw mount away and used glue, but it's not a big deal. Really. Aside from the Adamo, Dell's Latitude 13 "Business Class" system also has a sealed battery. But it's major component failure? A cable from the hard drive to system board.

Memory failure is a rare event now also. The biggest failure is the hard drive, naturally because of motor/heat issues. Next up is the display. With the SSD, the hard drive is now out of the equation. However, given the price of the SSD, it's best to get Applecare to protect your investment, but this is no step backward.

Folks see a design change and think the systems are doomed. They are not. The retina design will expand into the other systems for various reasons. And they will be reliable from the design aspect.
So much of the fuss is about nothing.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow