Started Jun 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mikew
Contributing MemberPosts: 528Gear list
Like?
D800 focus points accurate across the screen
Jun 13, 2012

I have had a D800 for about a month. I spend a lot of time getting my cameras/lenses' auto focus calibrated to each other, so this is very important to me. I took the D800 and the 600VR out today for some testing in preparation for a trip to Brazil coming up. I used egrets standing between 30 and 50 feet from me. Some in direct sunlight and some in overcast, at 3 to 4 pm.

The egrets are great subjects for this because they stand still like statues when they are hunting. I used all the focus points from the left to the right. They were all spot on with the 600 at f4.

And while we are on the subject of auto focus accuracy, I am very glad to report that both my D800 and my D4 are the most neutral camera bodies I have owned since the AF fine tuning became available. I have a dozen lenses and about half of them required no fine tuning. The rest are within a few points plus or minus. This is unusual for me, as my D300, D700, D3, and D7000 all required more radical negative compensation with the same lenses. Mostly in the -10 to -15 range.

Given the neutral and accurate focus results I am getting with both cameras across the focus points on both cameras, at least we know that, whatever problems many prople are having, Nikon can produce bodies that do function as intended.

I hope the problematic bodies can be repaired. I went through something similar with a Canon 1dIII. Very frustrating.

mikew's gear list:mikew's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Canon EOS-1D Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon D4 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow