Top 10 Most Expensive Photographs In The World

Started Jun 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
tony field
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,730
Like?
Re: Are you sure you've not missed the point?
In reply to Great Bustard, Jun 13, 2012

Great Bustard wrote:

For sure, I can see big bucks being paid for the photo of Kim Phuc, the flag raising on Iwo Jima, the tank stopping in Tiananmen Square, the green-eyed Afghan girl, etc., etc., etc. -- none of which are "noise free, super sharp, fits the tone range perfectly into the typical monitor, and possibly pretty with nice lighting, it is by DPreview definition, a superb photograph".

But those in the link in the OP? Really?

You missed Capa's "death of a spanish soldier".

Great photographs are great photographs by personal evaluation. Occasionally the evaluation can be common among a great number of people. Great value in terms of $$$ is not necessarily a direct measure of art - however on occasion may be.

Of the images in the video I find that many evoke a strong emotional response or sense of participation:

Athens Temple Juipiter *
Nautilus
Dovima with Elephant
Cowboy
Georgia OKeefe's hands
Pond in moonlight

(the * indicates that I "really relate" to this image).

To that, I could add many other images by such photographers as Horst P. Horst, Bresson, Newton, Sief, Doisneau, Unworth, Haskins, etc.

I could also include images taken by personal friends of mine, and even some of my own.

Art is that which "YOU" can connect to. In no way does it reflect what others perceive. For example, for the life of me, I cannot relate to the Mona Lisa (even though I have a small and excellent reproduction on a wall in the dining room. I also have an equally nice small reproduction of Durer's "rabbit" which does indeed make me stop to look at when I pass by. I also have an excellent print of the Wheel of Life which happens to have been made from the original 3000 year old wood block on hand made rice paper after a friend of mine helped the Tibetan monks smuggle the wood blocks from Tibet into northern India during the Chinese suppression in the 1970's. This piece of Tibetan art still is important to me purely in an artistic sense.

Art is what you perceive. It has no transferabllity to another person other than by happenstance. Just to give you an idea of what I mean, at one point you presented a photograph of your "study" area with a number of images on the wall. I recollect viewing a couple of very tiny images that really interested me and even copied the image into photoshop to view "enlarged". Do you feel that these are "great art", I would venture to say that you would not take that attitude - none the less, maybe I might.
--
tony
http://www.tphoto.ca

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow