Will Nikon or Canon make a CCD sensor DSLR?

Started Jun 11, 2011 | Discussions thread
Chato
Forum ProPosts: 45,358Gear list
Like?
It's an old article
In reply to Peter Pans, Jun 13, 2012

Peter Pans wrote:

Leonard Migliore wrote:

Peter Pans wrote:

Based on these differences, you can see that CCDs tend to be used in cameras that focus on high-quality images with lots of pixels and excellent light sensitivity.

Canon 1Ds (CMOS) 21 MP
Nikon D3s (CMOS) ISO 102,400
Please name a comparable CCD camera

I can name a CCD DSLR camera that isn't comparable because it would blow the above out of the water on image quality, namely the Leica S2 with a CCD 37.5 MP sensor.

Despite your mention of the Leica, it's quite obvious that this is a very old article

I quote:

"Based on these differences, you can see that CCDs tend to be used in cameras that focus on high-quality images with lots of pixels and excellent light sensitivity. CMOS sensors traditionally have lower quality, lower resolution and lower sensitivity. CMOS sensors are just now improving to the point where they reach near parity with CCD devices in some applications. CMOS cameras are usually less expensive and have great battery life."

While the article is not dated, I would guess it was written about 2003 or 2004, when the tranistion from CCD's to CMOS was taking place.

Now I wouldn't claim that CMOS is inherently better than CCD - But quite clearly almost every high end camera being released - And that includes MF, are CMOS.

Plain and simple, the quality is the same, and the cost of manufacturing is cheaper, and battery life is much extended. My D1x got 80 shots to a battery, and was CCD (2001) and my D2x (2005) got 1800 shots and was CMOS - And not a dimes worth of difference in the quality of output.

Dave

-- hide signature --

"Everyone who has ever lived, has lived in Modern Times"

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow